3.11.2003

If The Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me


Lexus In The Left Lane:

I was speeding down the highway. I passed your car. A few minutes later, I pulled over to the slower lane to let a car pass me, and I saw you for the first time. Your car, the Lexus, was now passing me. A few minutes later, your car slowed up and I accelerated and passed your car yet again. I venture to guess it was your mother driving. You two didn't seem vocal at all. It's a shame too, because you have so much in common. If only you could let loose around each other like you do with your friends, you'd see this. Your relationship would grow in leaps and bounds. And there you were passing me again in the car. You looked over at me for a brief second and almost smiled. I was wondering why our cars kept passing each other until I saw you look at me. Then I started wondering about how neither of our vehicles were on cruise control, yet our vehicles kept interchanging on the highway. I was speeding up, and you were slowing down. You were slowing down, and I was speeding up. We have crossed paths many times, yet our lives haven't let us stay the same speed. I then thought about your marriage, and how you would throw your wedding bouquet. I pictured the bouquet flying out of your arms, in the air, and landing on the ground. And that's because all the other women you grew up with were claimed a long time ago. But that is not a bad thing. You are special. You are worth waiting for. Too bad our speeds were different and continue to be, because we could be together. After passing the Lexus again, I put the gas pedal down and drove away. A few miles ahead, shortly after losing the Lexus in my rearviewmirror, I saw the crows eating at roadkill and realized it was never meant to be.