Lather
The Idiot:
Wow, she's really nice. It's weird to see her out on the town tonight. I'm used to seeing her at work during the day. I think she works two floors above me. I always see her in the lobby and sometimes we catch the same elevator. We always smile and wave to each other. She goes out of her way to say hi to me. I'm going over to talk to her. This seems like such a great girl. She likes the same music and books as me too! I learned this when I was in the foodcourt lineup with her when I ordered a bagel. Okay, now we're talking. Right here and now. Who is her friend? Nice to meet you too. She is now talking about seeing me all the time as she is on her way to work every morning. I wonder if she's married. I'll ask for her number. Nothing to lose, really. I'll just ask her to meet for coffee next week and we'll get to know each other some more. Worst thing she can say is no. Okay, I'll get her a drink first at the bar and I'll make my move. Would you like a drink?
And just then, she asks me:
"You don't remember my name, do you?". She smiles and her eyes squint a bit at me.
And then, my shoulders drop and I hunch forward a bit. I look up at her beautiful eyes and take a deep breath. I then reply:
"No, I don't."
<< Home